Skip to main content
LOGO: Queen's University Belfast

Welcome to Queen's Student
Immigration Support Service


What should I do if I lose my Passport or BRP while travelling over the Easter break?

During the Easter break, many students will be travelling home to visit family or embarking on exciting travel adventures.  As well as making travel plans, its important to be prepared for any unexpected challenges, for example, losing your passport or BRP Card.

The Immigration Support Service has guidance on how to navigate these challenges:

Lost Passport: What to do?

Losing a passport can be a daunting experience, especially when travelling overseas.  If you find yourself in this situation, you can take the following steps:

1. Remain calm: Losing a passport can be stressful, its important to stay calm and focused.

2. Report the loss:  Immediately report your lost passport to the local authorities, for example, the nearest Police Station. 

3. Contact your Embassy or Consulate:  Reach out to your country's Embassy or Consulate in the country in which you are travelling.  They will guide you through the necessary steps to obtain a replacement passport.

4. Apply for a Replacement Passport:  Follow the instructions provided by your Embassy or Consulate to apply for a replacement passport.  This process may vary depending on your country's procedures. 


Lost BRP Card: What to do?

Some international students may have been issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card as evidence of their immigration permission for the UK.  If you lose your BRP card, here is what you should do:

1. Report the loss to the Police:    Report your lost BRP Card to the local authorities as soon as possible.  

2. Report the loss to UKVI:  You should follow the instructions on the UKVI website.

3. Apply for a single entry visa:  You will need to apply for a single entry visa to return to the UK. You can do this on UKVI's website.

4. Contact ISS:  Please email the Immigration Support Service at to tell us about your lost BRP. We can help you to apply for a new BRP once you return to the UK.  You will need to make this application within one month of returning to the UK. 

Further information

You can find further information about what to do if you lose your passport or BRP Card on our webpages. 

You can also find helpful information about travelling in Europe on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

Please note the University will be closed from Friday 29th March to Sunday 7th April inclusive.  We hope you have an enjoyable break and safe travels!